Two Iridium satellite busses for donation

From: Tim Van Devender (tlv@seds.lpl.arizona.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 13:02:18 MST

* SEDS-discuss : Discussion of Anything SEDS or Space-Related *

To anyone interested...

Motorola has two Iridium satellite busses from Lockheed left in their
factory in Chandler, AZ.  I spoke with the launch team today (just back
from the final Iridium launch in Bakinor).  They say the two frames left
are under negotiaion for purchase from Iridium, but it looks like they
will most likely be donated to an educational institution.

I asked if they had talked to the U of A.  There are two complete
satellite busses with the radio panels and K-band antennea.  "All you
would need is the payload" (communications software).  If anyone wants to
try and put a proposal together to get these donated to the U of A space
sciences department, space grant or UA SEDS please let me know.  I will
try to get the right people together for a win-win deal.

Please forward this to the current SEDS national email list also.

Thanks,
Tim Van Devender
tlv@seds.org
vandev1@email.mot.com