SEDS-USA Needs Your Help

From: Samidh Chakrabarti (samidh@mit.edu)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 14:28:18 MST

* SEDS-Chapters : Official SEDS-USA Communications to Chapters *
*      Please Forward This to Your Chapter if Appropriate      *

Dear SEDS Chapters,

SEDS-USA needs your help. For the past 3 months, I've been the only
SEDS-USA Board member. Obviously, it is more work than I can do
alone. If things have been quiet from SEDS-USA, now you know why.

I've been thinking for the past month about the best course of action
given our current situation. I've come to the conclusion that we can
really only do two things at this point:

1. Hold SEDS-USA elections for next academic year.
2. As a group, refocus our goals and expectations of SEDS-USA.

The problem with action #1 is that the SEDS-USA constitution
prohibits me from running the elections. I haven't been able to find
anyone who is willing to conduct the elections. We can't hold the
elections until someone volunteers to do this. If anyone out there is
interested, please let me know immediately. I promise that it is a
painless process that won't take up much of your time.

As far as action #2, I think the first step is to get as many SEDS
people as possible to show up to the International Space Development
Conference (ISDC) over Memorial Day Weekend in Tucson, Arizona. I
sent out an email about this a month ago but accidentally sent it to
the wrong list so none of you received it. I will resend that email
in a few minutes. In any case, at ISDC we can all meet together and
talk about what we really want out of SEDS. PLEASE ATTEND IF YOU CAN.
It should be a lot of fun. Airline tickets from the East Coast to
Tucson are available for about $200 through priceline.com. Those of
you closer to Arizona can take a road trip! Housing will be virtually
free because the University of Arizona SEDS chapter has volunteered
to let us stay with them.

I have been putting together a document stating what my visions and
goals for SEDS-USA. I will present this to all of you at the
conference and I hope it will elicit a lot of good discussion. By the
end of the conference, we should have a firm set of goals and
expectations for SEDS-USA. Those who can't make it to the conference
are welcome to join in the discussion electronically using our
seds-discuss@seds.org mailing list.

*****
In summary, please volunteer to run the SEDS-USA elections, volunteer
to run for a position on the SEDS-USA board, and attend ISDC in
Arizona at the end of this month! Contact me if you have any
questions....
*****

Samidh Chakrabarti
SEDS-USA (Interim) Chair