SEDS-USA Conference Information

From: Samidh Chakrabarti (samidh@mit.edu)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 15:29:54 MST

* SEDS-Chapters : Official SEDS-USA Communications to Chapters *
*      Please Forward This to Your Chapter if Appropriate      *

The SEDS-USA Conference is coming up soon! It has been a tradition
for the past several years to hold the SEDS-USA Conference as a
sub-conference of the International Space Development Conference
(ISDC), which is run by the National Space Society. So that is what
we will be doing again this year. We will be doing a mixture of ISDC
events and SEDS-USA events. I'm sure that we'll all have a wonderful
time. PLEASE ATTEND IF YOU CAN!!! Basically everyone who is anyone in
the world of space exploration will be at ISDC.

Before I proceed with the details let me thank Samantha Rubinson, the
President of University of Arizona SEDS, for having organized SEDS'
involvement in ISDC.

Complete Information about ISDC: http://www.tucson2000.org

Dates & Location

ISDC will be held May 25-29, 2000 (Memorial Day Weekend) at the
Holiday Inn Center in Tucson, Arizona.

Overall Plan

Thursday May 25th: People Arrive in the evening.
Friday May 26th: Go on Tours, Explore Arizona, Hang out, Meet each other, etc.
Saturday May 27th: ISDC Sessions During the Day, SEDS Sessions at Night
Sunday May 28th: ISDC Sessions During the Day, SEDS Sessions at Night
Monday May 29th: People Depart for home.

Conference Cost

SEDS is a co-sponsor of ISDC, so we get in for $75/person. However,
if you agree to volunteer to work a total of 12 hours during the
conference, you can get in for $20! That's damn cheap.

Transportation

I have been able to find round-trip plane tickets from Boston to
Tucson for $200 using http://www.priceline.com. I imagine you can
find a similar price from any major East Coast City. Those of you
closer to Tucson may just want to take a road trip there. And those
of you inbetween have a choice. You can probably find plane tickets
to Tucson on priceline.com for cheaper than $200, or you can just
take a long road trip.

Lodging

The University of Arizona Chapter has graciously agreed to let us
stay with them in their various dorm rooms, apartments, etc. That
means that lodging will be FREE for SEDS members. They obviously
can't accommodate 100 people, so the sooner you register the more
likely you'll get free housing. If, however, you'd prefer a hotel
room, then you can get a $79/night conference rate at the Holiday
Inn. More information about staying at the Holiday Inn:
http://www.tucson2000.org/hotel.cfm

Registration

Unfortunately, the Registration procedure is not that simple.
Please complete Registration by May 15th!!! Otherwise the price increases.

FIRST: EVERYONE who is attending the conference MUST send me
<samidh@seds.org> an email with the following information: 1. Your
Name, 2. Your Email Address, 3. Your Chapter's Name, 4. For lodging,
do you want to stay with a University of Arizona SEDS member?, 5.
When will you arrive?, 6. When will you leave?, 7. Do you want to
volunteer to work 12 hrs at ISDC?

NEXT: If you do NOT want to volunteer during ISDC, register by
filling out the online ISDC registration form at
http://www.tucson2000.org/register-online.cfm . Be sure to click on
"NSS or co-sponsor" in Step 3. You can skip most of Step 4, but put
$75 as the Grand Total. If you DO wish to volunteer during ISDC, the
price is $20. I'm not exactly sure how you should register as a
volunteer, but I'll get that information soon. Be sure to indicate on
your email from part one that you want to volunteer, so I can send
you the info.

Deadline

Please Register for the conference IMMEDIATELY. Be sure you send me
an email (the first step of the registration procedure) indicating
that you will be attending the conference. After May 15th, the price
goes up. Also, we can't guarantee that you'll be able to stay with a
University of Arizona SEDS member. But the sooner you email me, the
better your chances are.

Questions?

If you have any questions, please email me <samidh@seds.org>.

Thanks,