Welcome to SEDS 2000-2001!

From: Samidh Chakrabarti (samidh@mit.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 16:20:04 MST

* SEDS-Chapters : Official SEDS-USA Communications to Chapters *
*      Please Forward This to Your Chapter if Appropriate      *

Dear SEDS Members,

Welcome to another year with SEDS! I'm very excited about what we can
accomplish this year. Let me tell you why. Last year, I worked very
hard to try to reestablish a good communications infrastructure
within SEDS-USA. This meant tracking down every old chapter that ever
existed and trying to get their current contact information. I then
created a series of mailing lists that will facilitate communication
within SEDS-USA. Finally, this past summer I spent a long time
reworking the SEDS-USA webpage to make it more useful to chapters
(there are still a few sections that need to be finished). I hope you
will take a look at it (http://www.seds.org/seds/). Now that a good
communications infrastructure is in place, we can do great things as
an organization.

The most important facets of the new website are the "Timeline"
section (http://www.seds.org/seds/timeline.html) and the
Announcements page (http://www.seds.org/seds/announcements.html). The
Timeline page lists all of the SEDS-USA deadlines that each chapter
should try to meet. For the first time, we finally have a single page
listing everything that a chapter needs to do! The Announcements page
contains a list of special SEDS-USA events and information.

If you look at these pages, you'll know there are several upcoming
events that you'll need to pay attention to:

1. Update your Chapter's Contact Information
         We need to keep all chapter information current! Do this online!
         http://www.seds.org/seds/forms/update-info.html
         Deadline: October 1, 2000
2. Submit NOVA Article about your Chapter's Activities
         Do this only if your chapter did NOT submit a NOVA Article last year.
         Do it online: http://www.seds.org/seds/forms/submit-nova.html
	Deadline: October 15, 2000 [Extended]
3. Send a Rep to the Council of Chapters Meeting on October 4, 2000
         More information: http://www.seds.org/seds/council/index.html
4. Run for a Position on the SEDS-USA Board!
         Elections for positions on the SEDS-USA Board are underway.
         Please consider running for a position on the Board!
         More information: http://www.seds.org/seds/elections.html
5. Send $25 Dues to SEDS-USA
         A separate email concerning dues will be sent in the near future.
         We are currently setting up a way to pay these dues online.
6. Attend Mars Week @ MIT!
         MIT is hosting MarsWeek from Oct 20-22, 2000.
         Info on MarsWeek: http://www.thinkmars.net/marsweek/2000/
         All SEDS Members are invited to Attend!
         If people from your chapter would like to attend, simply:
               1. Register on the MarsWeek website
               2. Email <samidh@seds.org>
                     Tell me a. How many people will be coming
                             b. Which chapter you are from
                             c. When and how you will be arriving
                     MIT SEDS will provide free housing for you!

That's all from SEDS-USA for now. Any questions? Let me know!

Samidh Chakrabarti
SEDS-USA (Interim) Chair